Friday, September 16, 2011

Bats, Owls, and Bobcats!!

Outside cover

 Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!  I mean .... Bats and owls and Bobcats, oh my!  We are busy studying nocturnal animals this week.  I came up with a new to me, but old idea and the kids loved it!   I was searching online for ideas for my unit and found a blog about lapbooks.  So I made a lapbook about our nocturnal
animal unit, using the existing test as a guide.  The mini file folders hold facts about the three animals (bats, owls, and bobcats) that we study.  We made a flap book with facts and an accordion fold (I called it a picket fence) with "more facts".   Then we read several nonfiction texts and together found three facts about bats.  Then we read some technical text about how to draw a bat, practiced and then drew our bat on "Bat Facts" accordion book.  Finally, they read a "National Geographic Explorer"  all about owls with a partner.  Together they were to find three facts and write them on their "Owl Fact" books.  They were very excited that they could do this research on their own and started asking if they could write done more than three facts!  I love it when they get excited about learning, don't you??  Check out how they turned out.
Inside
Mini file folder with facts





back of folder



Independent research
Flap book with facts
Picket fence accordion with more facts!

No comments:

Post a Comment